Friday, April 30, 2010

Should be studying...

...but I'm too excited about being done with school, so I'll post instead.

I just finished my final for medical social work, my favorite class this semester. It was the one with the hilarious professor, remember? I really enjoyed studying for that class. I'm sad that it's over. =( Wanna learn some things that I learned in the class? In no particular order:

1) 50% of Accra and 30% of Ghana's rural population has "good drinking water."

2) "If you go to central Accra, make sure your stomach is empty. If your stomach goes on riot, you are finished!" -Professor Kodjo on lack of public restrooms in urban Ghana.

3)20% of Ghana's population lives on less than $1 a day. About 87% of Africa lives on less than $2 a day.

4) On maternal mortality: My Prof went to Switzerland hospital and asked for their maternal mortality records and the nurse looked at him like he was crazy. "This is a hospital," she said "we haven't had a maternal mortality incident in ten years." The prof returns to Ghana and incidentally, the newspaper headline read "K'bu hospital - no maternal mortality in three months!"

5) Ghana's contraceptive prevalence rate is 15%

6) In 2005, 40% of Botswana's pregnant women were living with HIV/AIDS

7) Zimbabwe's average life-span has decreased from 55 y.o. to 35 y.o. due to HIV/AIDS.

Ok. i learned a looot more than just those 7 points, and would love to share. But I gotta go study. But man, what an awesome class.


Here's a picture of me with Professor Kodjo



Here are some of my classmates from med socialwk. Me n the guy on the side weren't ready for the picture, but this is the only group photo where the majority of my friends looked ready for a "snap," as they call it. They looked kind of funny and unprepared in the other shots. I was actually all ready to take the photo. The camera guy said "ok! 1....2...." And Gad, the guy who is looking at me turns and says "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Hah! Fat chance, Gad." *snap!*



Ok i need to study. O, but good news! My class in which i have a final tomorrow was changed back to p/np! I'm so relieved because there is a buttload of information to learn. I don't feel like studying at all since the class doesn't count for anything at all. But I should maybe attempt to study and pass the class.

PS: update on water. It's back! Came back today after my exam. Phew. "It was SERIOUS, oh" as the Ghanaians say.



2 comments:

  1. Lack of water is very SERIOUS, oh! More than 1/3 of people on this earth is lack of clean drinking water right now. This situation is getting worse due to climate change and bad management. It is estimated that the figure will reach to 1/2 by 2030.

    Wish you have water and electricity in the last few weeks.

    lycgreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA. "Fat chance, Gad!" nice. i like it.

    ReplyDelete