Monday, April 5, 2010

Safe and sound

Bon soir! I'm back from Togo! Wow. It was a pretty ridiculous adventure. I just want to shake my head and laugh every time I think about the trip. There will definitely be a post concerning the trip soon hopefully! (I know i also promised a good post on my northern trip, among other topics. "I'm coming!" as the Ghanaians always say. They say that when they are telling you to wait or that they'll be right there. But the real question is, are you coming at the speed of a train or the speed of a snail, as Zadie Smith wrote in White Teeth. For the Ghanaians... the answer would be at the speed of a snail. A very sick, severely handicapped snail. Hopefully I'll get my posts up sooner than that. I've been getting excellent internet connection from my room lately...knock on wood. I'm so backed up on blog entries. eek!)

We got home from Togo a day early. Reason being? We ran out of money. Well...we had money. We had plenty of cedis, we just didn't have enough CFAs (Togo's currency) to get us through another day. =P But it was a great relief to be back in Ghana and you'll understand why when I post about my adventures.

We had Friday and Monday off because of Easter, so today I got to relax a bit. Went to the mall with my friend Jean to withdraw money and exchange traveler's checks, but the bank was closed and the atm was down. Note to self, don't ever go to the mall on a holiday. I felt like I was at costco. It was sooo crowded. Jean and I chilled at the bookstore. I read Marjane Satrapi's book Embroideries, and started reading The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacks. Both = frikkin hilarious. Plan to finish the latter when I get back to the States. Then Jean and I watched Shutter Island. Should be named Shudder Island, i think. Freaked me out a bit but in the end i didn't think it was all THAT bad just because it boggled my mind. But i wouldn't watch it a second time. It reminded me of the old movie Momento and the tv show Lost.

Time to end off the semester strong. I only have two more weeks of lectures. Can you believe that? I must soak up every moment of it! Tomorrow's my 8 hour day of lecturing fun. wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment