Friday, May 7, 2010

"It's been long time, oh"

It's been nearly a week since i finished finals. I thought i'd have more free time to catch up on blog entries, but that was an obvious fail. I've been going out doing last minute shopping, went to the art center, medina, and koforidua. Went to the movies, and watched Date Night. Oh man. frikking hilarious. Took Junior, the guy who works at the eatery at ISH, out to Chinese food one night for his birthday. It was his first time eating Chinese food! Then smoothies and salsa dancing afterwards. Salsa's a popular scene among the youth here. The club was full of Ghanaians and they were all PROs at salsa dancing. There was a circular dance floor that is slightly lower than level ground (the opposite of a platform...), that only fit about 3 couples, The best dancers dance down there and people watch from above. I was absolutely mesmerized. Salsa is so stinkin' sexy!

Yesterday I witnessed a University of Ghana protest march on campus. (Ah...felt at home =P ) But what a commotion! It was a protest put on by Commonwealth boys. Commonwealth is an all boys hall on campus that can be equated to an American fraternity. Apparently the school is going to turn commonwealth into a mixed graduate student hall, which was the reason for protest. I wonder why large protests never occur on campus concerning larger issues like child labour or something.

I just returned from my internship. It was a slow day. I only saw two patients. One of the things I enjoy most about the internship is being able to see the same patients from week to week and witness their healing process. There is one patient who had back pains and wanted surgery. He was advised to find a surgeon in the UK or the States, but he decided to go for convenience rather than quality, so he had a poorly qualified Ghanaian doctor operate on his spine and he got pretty messed up and hasn't been able to walk for two years. But today he was able to stand up and walk a few steps with help, and without pain! It was really cool to see. It is also frustrating when patients don't take the necessary steps in doing their home exercises, so their conditions don't get any better, and sometimes gets worsen. Vicky and I went out for a lunch break (banku + palm nut oil stew + crab + okru), and along the way stopped to do a bit of shoe shopping. =P (Like i said. it was a dead day at the clinic.) I hung out with Agnus when I got back. She is the professional masseuse at the clinic, AND she has diamond studs on her teeth. We worked out in the gym, and I taught her some yoga. In return for my yoga lessons, she gave me a ridiculous 10 minute massage. I'll be visiting the clinic once more before i leave. =(

ABOUT A WEEK AND A HALF LEFT. I'll try to cram in more entries because I don't think people will be interested in catch-up-entries about Ghana once I'm back home. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment